DIY Face Masks for Sensitive Skin
Oh, the dilemma of sensitive skin! Prone to reactions in various forms like acne, blemishes, rough skin, tightness, itchiness, or redness, skincare for sensitive skin requires special attention as you have to be careful about the products you use. And did you know that even your immune system can play a role in skin sensitivity?
There are the different types of skin:
- Environmentally sensitive: affected by strong winds, very cold or hot temperatures, excess exposure to sunlight and air pollution.
- Reactive skin: Allergies to certain types of jewelry, fragrances, dyes and colors, chemicals in skin and hair products, reactions to certain plants, to chemical water in the swimming pool, etc.
- Thin skin: This type of skin tends to be more sensitive causing itchiness, irritation, peeling, or redness, especially with age
- Naturally Sensitive: Medical conditions like photodermatoses, rosacea, eczema, etc.
Knowing your skin will help you avoid potential triggers and opt for products or skincare routines that will soothe the skin. And what better way to get healthy, glowing skin than adopting homemade natural ingredients that are sure to keep your skin safe! We have compiled a list of some fabulous DIY skincare masks that work wonders for sensitive skin.
DIY Face Masks for Sensitive Skin
Oatmeal is a gentle exfoliator that removes dead skin cells effectively. It also contains saponins that remove excess oil, dirt, and bacteria from pores. It is rich in antioxidants and may help protect the skin from UV rays, sun damage, chemicals, and pollution. This sure is one miracle-worker!
Combine 1 teaspoon of cooked oatmeal, 1 teaspoon of plain full-fat yogurt, and 1 teaspoon of honey. Mix the ingredients well and apply on your face for 15-20 minutes. Then rinse with warm water. You can also add egg white to the pack.
Take ½ cup oatmeal cooked with milk and add half medium-sized mashed banana, 1 egg, and ½ tablespoon of honey. Mix the ingredients well to a smooth paste and apply on your face gently massaging in a circular motion. Let it sit for 15 minutes and then wash with warm water.
Strawberries are effective for skin treatment with their antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. They contain AHAs that gently remove dead skin cells, salicylic acid that helps treat acne, and Vitamin C and Omega-3 fatty acids that support healthy collagen and may help reduce dark spots and pigmentation. Wow! Isn’t this a delicious treat?
Mash a few strawberries and add 2 tablespoons of honey, 1 tablespoon of oil of your choice (olive, jojoba, grapeseed, almond, or coconut) and 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice. Mix the ingredients well and generously apply the pack on your face. Leave the mask on for 5-10 minutes. Wash with warm water and pat dry.
Alternatively, you can add strawberries to ½ tablespoon of plain yogurt (oily skin) or heavy cream (dry skin) and 2 teaspoons of honey. Apply the mask on your face leaving the eye and mouth area and leave for 10-15 minutes. Wash with warm water and pat dry.
Cocoa is an excellent ingredient in soothing the skin and helps it attain the glowing state. It is rich in antioxidants and minerals that support collagen production while keeping the skin hydrated and firm.
Add 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder to ¼ medium-sized mashed avocado and 1 tablespoon of honey. Mix all the ingredients well to attain a smooth consistency without any lumps. Wash your face clean and dry before applying the mask. Leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse with warm water.
To half a cup of organic cocoa powder, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and liquid green tea (enough to make the consistency of the mask, smooth. You can also add yogurt for thicker consistency). Slather the paste on your face and leave for half an hour. Then rinse with water and pat dry.
The word itself gives us a cool and refreshing feeling, right? Cucumbers are packed with vitamins like A, B1, C, and nutrients like biotin and potassium. They are loaded with anti-inflammatories and antioxidants that lighten, brighten, and hydrate the skin. And they are so light and gentle on the skin; you can never go wrong with them!
Grate a medium-sized cucumber to squash out 1 to 2 teaspoons of cucumber juice. Whip 1 egg white until frothy and heat 1 teaspoon of honey on low flame until liquified. Mix all the ingredients together and allow it to cool. Then add 1 teaspoon of yogurt and make a paste. Apply the mask and leave it on for 15 minutes. Then rinse with lukewarm water.
Blend ½ a cucumber to puree and add ¼ cup milk, 1 tablespoon of honey, and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. Mix the ingredients well and apply on the face, gently massaging in a circular direction. Leave it on for 10-15 minutes and rinse with water.
How to take care of sensitive skin:
- Religiously follow the cleansing, toning, and moisturizing routine daily
- Use gentle or mild skincare products
- Avoid alcohol content, astringent, anti-bacterial, colored, or fragrant products.
- Patch test the products you buy by applying a small amount behind the ear and leaving it overnight.
- Thoroughly cleanse your face after removing make-up. Avoid using waterproof cosmetics.
- Reduce the time spent in showers and use warm water instead of hot.
- Use gentle laundry detergent for your clothes.
- Opt for organic products
- Sunscreen should be your skin’s BFF!
- Adopt a healthy lifestyle – diet, exercise, and mental health